When Bhagat Singh’s revolution resonated with the old parliament building, now it will be recorded in the pages of history, know special things
The old Parliament House has seen the imperial rule of the British for nine and a half decades and its walls have heard the echoes of the bombs thrown by Shaheed Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt during the freedom struggle…
The existing Parliament House will be recorded in the pages of history after May 28. This important building of the country was inaugurated by the then Viceroy Lord Irwin on January 18, 1927. Since then this building has been witness to many important developments.
When Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates the new Parliament House on May 28 and dedicates it to the nation, along with it the old Parliament House will hand over its 96 years old status to the new building.
This building stands for many historical moments
The old Parliament House has seen the imperial rule of the British for nine and a half decades and its walls have heard the echoes of the bombs thrown by Shaheed Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt during the freedom struggle. This building saw the dawn of independence in the country and it also had the privilege of witnessing the historic ‘Tryst with Destiny’ (interview with destiny) speech of the country’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on 15 August 1974. The circular Old Parliament House with 144 pillars of red sandstone on the first floor is a splendid piece of architecture.
According to archival documents and rare old photographs, a grand ceremony was held on January 18, 1927, to inaugurate this grand building. At that time it was known as ‘Council House’.
SEE EXCLUSIVE PHOTOS FROM INSIDE THE NEW PARLIAMENT HOUSE | video
At that time also there was a lot of discussion about the inauguration ceremony.
26 years before the country’s independence, then Britain’s ‘Duke of Connaught’ laid the foundation stone of the Parliament House on February 12, 1921 and said that this building would stand “as a symbol of India’s rebirth”, in which the country “Will achieve greater heights”.
According to the book ‘New Delhi – Making of a Capital’, Lord Irwin arrived in his carriage at the ‘Great Place’ (now Vijay Chowk) and then opened the door of the ‘Council House’ with the golden key handed to him by Sir Herbert Baker. At that time, the inauguration of the Parliament House had gathered a lot of headlines in the domestic and foreign media, just as these days there is a lot of discussion in the media before the inauguration of the new Parliament House.